Authenticity Connection Sacred Space
These are my three top values, and they weave through everything I do, in my business as well as in my life. My life purpose is to help people bring their authentic selves into their daily lives.
For entrepreneurs and business owners, I believe it’s crucial to be authentic, and to let others see the real you. You’ve probably heard, “People do business with those they know, like, and trust.” So, I’m here to help you claim the amazingness that is you and then put that out into the world through powerful content and a strong business foundation. That authentic content (where the writing from your soul name came from) is the connection piece, and sacred space is what I need myself and what I create to help people do that.
See, it seems as if my life has always revolved around writing and business. The writing bit started as a five-year-old writing a riveting, very soulful story about a bear trying to find happiness wherever he could. That soon turned to more stories of bears lurking (not like I actually used the word “lurking” when I was five years old) in the woods ready to eat any little girls who happened to wander by.
The business side emerged when I convinced the quiet, sweet boy in eighth grade business class to draw the illustrations for the fantasy book I was writing – and was determined to sell.
I went on to study English and business administration in college, and I even taught both for the two years I was a middle school teacher, thinking I could save the world, just like Sidney Poitier in the classic movie. I found I hated it. This was so not the experience from To Sir, With Love that I had been picturing. I honestly thought I would never teach again.
In 2002, I started a business to help small business owners run their businesses more efficiently. Together, we created systems and processes, brainstormed new products and programs, and designed marketing campaigns to make those products and programs soar. We worked on everything from technical manuals to ezine articles to social media updates to marketing materials to sales pages.
As my business grew and I worked with more and more entrepreneurs, I created all sorts of systems and processes to make this business of running a business easier. I’ve designed tools, programs, products, and classes (yes, even classes… I was teaching again!) for small business owners to help them uncover their deep message, align with their purpose in the world, and then convey all that powerfully with words.
Since 2005 I’ve been coaching entrepreneurs to create authentic content that will move their businesses forward… through clarifying their message, focusing on their goals, strategizing those goals, and breaking them down into manageable actions.
So, what’s all this about the Content Creator Extraordinaire?
My biggest strengths – and what creates the value I bring to my private coaching clients and students in my training programs – are that I can make a process and system out of anything in order to simplify it, along with a warm, caring empathy (that sacred space again) to see to the heart of your issues when it comes to creating the content that’s really going to move your business forward.
In tangible terms, what does that mean to you? It means that I’m amazing at helping you clarify your business goals, create powerful content that’s going to move you toward reaching those goals, and grow your business to new heights.
I am the Content Creator Extraordinaire! Not just in creating my own content, but helping you create your own. (And there are some pretty cool things out there for you to create!)
Other Blah Blah Blah you might want to know about me
I have a Bachelor of Arts in English and a minor in Business Administration from Southern Methodist University, Dallas, Texas. I also have certification in secondary education in English and business.
I was awarded honors in the following societies and programs:
- Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society
- Sigma Tau Delta English Honor Society
- Golden Key National Honor Society
- University Honors Program, SMU
In addition, I have been volunteering and working with people in some capacity of communication, writing, and business since the early 1990s:
- Volunteer for LIFT (Literacy Instruction For Texas)
- English teacher at Austin Junior High, Irving, Texas
- English-as-a-second-language teacher at LADO International College
- Online business manager since 2001, helping clients with all systems and processes, creating programs and products, designing and implementing marketing campaigns, and all writing projects and issues imaginable
- Chief Operating Officer of a virtual training company for seven years, running the day-to-day operations as well as managing the various departments and staff
- Business coach and strategist since 2005, helping entrepreneurs create powerful content to move their businesses forward
The personal stuff
And just for fun, here’s the personal (aka weird) tidbits that make me a real person.
- I’m not really “from” anywhere. I was born in the backseat of a car in Mississippi, moved to Virginia, moved to Pennsylvania, moved to Oregon, moved to Texas, all by the time I was in 4th grade.
- I’ve lived in Maryland the longest of anywhere so far, over 20 years. But I know true Marylanders won’t let me say I’m from Maryland.
- After I wrote my first complete novel, I put it on a shelf to never be published. (I have my reasons.)
- I love to quilt.
- I have 12 unfinished quilt projects in process. Sigh.
- I love the color palette of purple, teal, green, and blue.
- I adore action movies. As a matter of fact, Die Hard is one of my favorite Christmas movies. Numerous times we have decorated the Christmas tree watching Die Hard.
- I also love classic movies, and Cary Grant makes me swoon.
- There is only one true film version of Pride and Prejudice. I’ll happily give you a dissertation why.
- As cliche as it is, I met my husband Mark in Las Vegas.
- After a life of having dogs and never really liking cats, Mark and I were adopted by Kojo, the best kitty in the entire world.
- Kojo follows us on walks through the woods, more well-behaved than any dog I’ve ever had.
- I believe Kojo was sent to us by our spirit guides.
- I’m a tea snob. I don’t drink tea that comes in a bag.
- We live in the “country” near Frederick, Maryland. And it’s country enough that we have our half-and-half delivered by the local dairy. And that half-and-half comes in glass bottles.
- I have seen a black bear in my back yard, and that was an exciting day!
- Mountains make me feel safe.
- I’m not a big ocean girl. Too much activity and instability and DEEP freaking water. Give me a solid, stable, deep-to-the-earth mountain any day.
- Mark and I plan on building a cabin on his island in Sitka, Alaska… an island that comes out of the ocean (yeah, I know) with a view of the tallest, most majestic mountains ever (now, do you get it?).
Words have power
Remember that old saying, “Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me?” Well, it’s a lie! 🙂 Words have an incredible power, especially when spoken from a deep, authentic, soulful place.
Because that place inside you, honestly, is pretty powerful… because YOU are a pretty powerful, unique person. You just need to claim it and share it with the world!
And if I can help you in any way to write from your soul, please reach out. Don’t struggle alone.
May we all write from our souls.